Sunday, March 27, 2011

Slugs 'n Fun

This is my I-went-on-an-awesome-vacation-and-now-I'm-telling-you-about-it blog entry. Disclaimer: you may have to deal with quite a few pictures. I tried to make the file sizes fairly small, but I can only do so much before I start weeping for the diminishing clarity of my pictures. So.



Hubbs and I left the fluffy one behind and went to Portland for a few days for a much-needed vacation. The weather was mostly drizzle except for the time we were hiking to the coast. Then the clouds were parted and glorious sunshine made an appearance. Darn Oregon, seducing us.

Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start.

We flew out on Monday afternoon and had a serious layover, so we didn't land until late that night. So we did nothing. :)

The next day we decided to see the sights in Portland. We were accompanied by our faithful tour guide, Andy, and my best friend. This visit included Powell's (a bookstore heaven for lovers of the written word and also a bit overwhelming), Cool Harry's (a fro-yo cart owned by someone the guys knew which we all got too see inside and sample), and countless other places including a McMennamin's in an old elementary school. If you are ever in Oregon, go to every McMennamin's you can find. Also, try their IPA. It's their personal brew and is delicious. I could go on and on, or you could Google them and their awesomeness. Do it. This blog can be revisited later. Perhaps with a cup of chai?

Wednesday we went to The Gorge. I don't know if that is what it is formally named, but the locals (our friends) call it that. This included a series of breathtaking waterfalls.

Hubbs looking sexy in the forrest.

Imagine closing your eyes while a mist drenches your eyelashes and all you can hear is the thunder of water hitting water. That is beauty. My picture makes it look small, but you'll get the idea.


After the minor hikes involved, I was quite tired (sickness is evil), so we went and hung out at a friend's place before having dinner with one of my college roomies, her husband, and her sister. We had an awesome time and I dearly wish that Portland was closer so we could see them more often.

Thursday was mine and Hubbs' date day. We went to a little restaurant that we never would have gone to if two things had not happened. First, the restaurant was suggested by the owner and operator of the fro-yo cart. He was cool, so we thought we'd try it. Second, we neglected to check out the menu before sitting down.

Does the sign indicate anything about the origin of the food? Not really.

It so happened that this restaurant was mainly french cuisine, so I could only understand a few words on the menu. I was ready to bolt with my non-cultured head held low. Hubbs thought we should just try it. Of the two things I could pronounce, I decided that the Gnocchi Parisienne was the safest and went with that. As did Hubbs. I wish I would have taken a picture because it was astoundingly different and delicious. We both loved it. I owed him a giant kiss for making me take that risk. Aside from this, we lingered more in the city of Portland and enjoyed tea and window shopping.

Then, we drove back to the house and headed to a tavern McMennamin's (where else?). There was a live bluegrass band and we sat in a cozy booth. This is where I experienced my first Signature Spanish Coffee. Too strong for the menfolk I was with, but I loved it! I must take after my grandma. :)

Yum. Yum. Yum.

Friday was set aside for The Coast. This is what Oregonians call the beach. They are mostly adamant about there being a distinction between The Coast and The Beach. I didn't understand this until I visited. This is The Coast.


So lovely. We hiked through some forest to get to this vantage point. It was such a treat. There were flowers, trees, moss, ferns, and other amazing textures for the eyes. I trailed behind the guys most of the time, just trying to absorb what was around me. It is like nothing else I have ever experienced and part of me already craves to see and feel it again.

You probably recognize this. There is no way I would ever place one on my nose.

I'm totally crushing on Oregon right now. :)



That night we visited our friend at the Pizza Schmizza she manages and had some delicious pizza. Then we headed out for some schmizza (apparently it is a state of mind, not something to be purchased). Where did we go?! Another McMennamins! And the crowd cheered!

Suspension bridge plus Hubbs equals hugs.

The next day was Saturday, so we met friends at Longbottom Cafe for a Dutch Baby and some fresh roasted coffee before heading off to the airport. My brain is so tired that I can't remember if anything funny or awesome happened at the airport, so you're stuck with that simple conclusion to my story.

2 comments:

  1. I think you've made me love Oregon too and I've never been there! great pictures :) Thanks for taking me on a mini vacation while at work! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! I'm glad I did at least a little bit of justice to what I experienced. :)

    ReplyDelete