Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pay up, dude!

I originally cracked open my laptop just a few minutes ago to make another school loan payment to Sallie Mae. Unfortunately, the payment portion of their website is down, so I've decided to write a quick blog. Personally, I think I should be exempt from the payment I was going to make since their site was down. But I don't think that will fly with little miss Sallie.

I saw this quote the other day:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
— Albert Einstein


I wasn't searching for quotes about goldfish or anything, it just kind of came up, but it makes total sense. We spend so much of our time being told what we should be, do, wear, know... well, you get the idea. As a kid, I could never understand why I learned differently than others or why math never quite made it through to my brain. I always did well with english, music, art, and the like. However, "smart kids" were good at math and I was not. Luckily, God blessed me with very supportive parents and two older brothers who were good at math. :) The frustrations I had (and sometimes still have) are what urge me on to becoming a teacher one day. I want to tell the students that they don't have to climb trees if they are better at drawing them. I want them to see that their desire for good art, for good theatre, is just as valuable as what mathematicians do. We are all different parts of the same body. If we all did the same thing, it would be no good. That's old wisdom that still shines for a reason.

Gosh, this post is not funny. But I never guaranteed that. Read my first post as proof. You see what you get when I can't pay my loans?

:)

Hubbs is closing a high school production of the musical Grease tonight. I saw it last night and got a kick out of it. If you grew up watching this movie like I did, it is quite surprising to see it done by kids who are the proper age for the characters. They worked hard and I was amused by the final product, despite half of them not knowing their choreography. Hubbs and I both noted that the choreography that was most consistently together was the boys' thrusting. They seemed quite proud of that dance move and it was all I could do to keep from cracking up every time it was executed.

We did laundry today and yesterday for our upcoming trip of awesomeness. Which reminded me that socks disappear in the dryer. Which reminded me of the Sock Stealing Monster that lives in the dryer. This is what I think he looks like. Wheeler, this doodle is for you.


Also, since I'm sure you've been wondering where the Ellie Penelope pictures are...

The little fluffy one reclining on my blanket. 

Being fluffy but looking chubby. I promise she's healthy and in shape.

There you go! Now make sure to have an awesome weekend. That's an order. :)

1 comment:

  1. I heart this post. Math makes me cry, no joke. I think my brain has a protective auto-shut off like the E-stop on rollercoasters, because if someone starts running numbers I go fuzzy and cross-eyed (which I'm sure is super attractive).

    Boo for school loans but ya for a chance to let your mind wander :)

    ReplyDelete