Monday, May 30, 2011

Deliciousness is my Middle Name

It's not, because that would be weird and my mom's sanity would be in question. In fact, my middle name is Anamarie (in case you needed to know). However... I DID bake a delicious pie today from scratch mostly from scratch. I would like to share my victorious conquest with all of you in hopes of inspiring you to bake your own deliciousness!

Yum.

I googled many recipes before settling on the one I found. Mostly because the statistics showed the recipe to be quite simple and hard to ruin. It's called "Grandma Ople's Apple Pie" but I shall call it "The Deliciousness Gracing Our Tastebuds." Or just "Apple Pie." That's catchy. Check it out!

1 pie crust (I used Pillsbury pre-made, comes in packages of two and you will need both)
1/2 c unsalted butter (yes, THAT much)
3 tbsp flour
1/4 c water (minus one tsp)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar, packed (I used light brown for aesthetic reasons)
8 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored (not sure how many it actually took)
Cinnamon and Nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.

Peel, core, and slice apples. This takes a while if you are crazy like I am and you want them thin. The thinner the apples, the more quickly they will cook though. After you've done this, leave them alone on your cutting board.

Lay your first crust into your pie pan. Most people recommend a glass pie pan, but I could only find metal at Target and it worked just fine. Don't poke holes in the crust with your fingers because it isn't doing what you want it to. Be gentle. Use soothing words.

Melt butter in saucepan on a medium-low type setting. Stir in the flour, which will thicken it just a bit. Add water, vanilla, and both sugars, mixing them in gently. No lumps here! Then add plenty of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg, stir her up, and bring her to a boil. Then let her simmer. You can omit the spices if you'd like. They aren't a part of the original recipe, but I'm a fan so they got thrown in there.

Place apple slices in crust, making sure you really fill it up good because the fruit shrinks as it bakes. Don't be like me and try to arrange it to look pretty. No one sees the inside and you'll just end up throwing in the rest of the pieces after you realize you're wasting time.

Pour 3/4 of the hot buttery mixture on top of the apples. Start to drool.

Cut your second crust into strips about 1" wide and make a lattice on the top of your pie. If you are scared of lattices, you can leave it in one piece and cut slits or decorative shapes into the doughy crust. That is probably easier and just as good. I kinda messed up my lattice this first time, but don't look! Just make sure that there is a way for air and steam to escape.

Put your lattice or other form of crust on top, trying to pinch it to meet with the sides of your bottom crust. Then drizzle or brush remainder of buttery mixture on top. Also, don't try to eat the raw dough. It is gross.

Put the pie on a cookie sheet on the bottom rack of your oven for 15 minutes. Then turn the temp down to 350 or so and gently cover your pie with foil to prevent it from browning more. Cook for 35 more minutes or until apples are soft. Let cool on counter for at least 30 minutes.

Now eat! Yum! This recipe has been Hubbs Approved. :)

1 comment: