Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A dinosaur ate my hat!

Ok, so I can't actually let the dino take the blame...

I may be chopping up a straw hat I bought years ago and then replaced with a cuter and floppier one. I'm going to a tea party in the very near future and I'm supposed to wear a "tea hat." Now, googling that term brought up quite a few vintage options.


1950.jpg
Not my photo, but I'm a fan of the style and hats.


So I did my Etsy search in case I found something buyable. But since I'm a cheapskate glutton-for-punishment creative lady I thought I'd try to fashion my own. I've done something similar for the costume shop I worked in and I think my millinery skills are just itching to be used. :) Plus, I'm having a crafty night tomorrow with some lady friends and that will be a good project.

Cut it up and cover her with flowers! The "before" shot. Obviously not my favorite hat.

Today I discovered that I need to be more adventurous with my food choices. I've been reading a Mary Higgins Clark book that described a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato slices once or twice (or maybe my brain multiplied it?) and I had to give it a go! Sooooooooo delicious! Next time I'm adding sliced peppers and maybe some salsa. This could really escalate my already high cheese consumption, but I'll do it in the name of culinary adventure.

I've been storing up more ideas for my Etsy shop lately. So far I'm thinking felt wreaths, hair accessories, man/lady scarves, skirts, and beanies. These are all things I can make pretty well and that won't be too brutal of a cost up front. They are also things I enjoy making. And I suppose that is the trick. Make what you like and hopefully others will also. We shall see.

Felt bow headband I made.

Kitty helper while I crochet.

Skirts we made! Bad picture, cute skirts.

Well, I guess it is time to start cleaning, cutting, and kittening. :) See you later!

1 comment:

  1. how exciting! I just bought a book called "Craft Inc" and it's all about setting yourself up to do a creative business. Lots of good information and a lot applies to Etsy shops :) you should check it out

    ReplyDelete