Monday, May 16, 2011

Who do you think you are?

Hubbs and I were talking about personality types the other day. I had done one particular type of test when I was an RA in college, then another one at work. Hubbs had recently taken a personality test, and wanted to compare results. However, I couldn't remember my results so, I googled and took a new test!

This is part of the compulsive researcher in me. The flames are fed by the speed of the internet. :)

I took a few short tests (found on this site) that give you the four letter profile for Keirsey's Temperament Sorter and consistently received the same results: ISFJ. The crazy thing is that this is dead on. Check out my ISFJ summary here if you're interested.

This is where you'll want to stop reading if you clicked on my blog for entertainment.

You can't say I didn't warn you. :)

As I was reading my results tonight, I kept noticing the little things that have been working me up lately. This is by no means a rant post, but I've been feeling indignant about the way people I care about have been treated. If you're snazzy and you've read my summary, you'll note that ISFJs are hardworking and loyal (sometimes to a fault on both accounts). We are also traditional in our values and develop close friendships. Sometimes it is even hard for us to share our raw feelings with those outside our very close circles. I think this is why I feel for people so often, because I know how hard it can be to share.

Sidenote: I'm not some sort of crazy socially-isolated person. Please know that. I just enjoy some privacy from time to time. :)

Anyway, all of this specific thought is translated into vague blogging (because the freedom of the internet encourages me to censor myself) which pushes me to question what I believe about people, boundaries, and right and wrong.

I tend to believe that people are good.
I tend to believe that boundaries will remain safely in place.
And I tend to believe that right will prevail. 

But people are not always good.
Boundaries are often broken.
And sometimes the villains keep winning.

Some would call that injustice. Although who are we to determine justice when we live by the grace of God?

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. That Bible verse has been cemented in my brain and my heart for many years and has just more recently made a lot more practical sense. This, too, raises more questions for me, though! To what extent to we let God just do things and when do we determine that we need to take action? I know prayer is action, so don't try correcting me on that, but I mean saying and doing things that might be difficult or dangerous; hoping that your efforts will be of some help to someone. At the same time, when we want to take action, we need to consider the feelings of others. All of this makes protecting people more complicated than the traditional ideas with which we are raised.

I suppose I'm raising more questions than answers. I have half a mind to delete this post, but if you read my blog I may owe it to you to allow you to see another facet of me. Although, if you DO read my blog, you're probably my friend and you know some of what I've expressed already. :)

Sorry if this theological quandary wasn't what you were expecting or seeking as entertainment. I promise my entries aren't all like this. I suppose I'll just close out with these lyrics to one of my favorite hymns.



O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!




If you've got thoughts, ideas, opinions, or a personality to share... I'd love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment